Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Real Deal


I certainly didn't know him but the ones who are that good make you feel like you do. Butch Cassidy made me wish I was a bank robber, The Sting made me wish I was a con artist, and Cool Hand Luke made me wish I was really really handsome.

He had beauty but backed it up with talent. He could take something that should have been lame like the bicycle montage in Butch Cassidy and totally sell it. Instead of being jealous of him for getting to ride around on a bike with Katharine Ross on his handle bars, I was jealous of Katharine Ross for getting to hang out with Paul Newman.

He put great stuff into the world and helped a ton of people. There aren't many actors like that or people like that. The only thing he didn't do was make delicious cookies. Oh wait - he fucking did that too.

R.I.P. Paul Newman. The world is a lot better because of you and really different without you. I wish I had gotten to meet you.

No comments: